Retrospective Building Control Approval - 2x Internal Walls

- I am purchasing a 3-bed semi-detached house built in the 1930s.
- Two internal walls have been removed.
(i) Kitchen to Dining room
(ii) Dining room to living room
- One of the walls is load-bearing.
- Sellers do not have Completion Certificates or any form of Building Approval, or any knowledge of when work(s) was done, but the latest one was done over 1.5 years ago.

Q. As the buyer, upon transfer of property, what tradespeople do I need in order to secure Retrospective Building Approval? Also, what are the estimated costs for this?

Asked by E on 22nd Aug 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"As the buyer, it's great that you're considering securing retrospective building approval for the modifications made to the house. While I'm not a professional in this field, I can provide some general information to guide you. It's important to consult with local authorities and professionals for specific advice tailored to your situation. Here are some steps you can consider:

1. Consult with a Structural Engineer: Engaging a structural engineer is crucial to assess the load-bearing wall and determine the necessary measures to ensure its stability. They can also provide guidance on any required structural modifications.

2. Contact a Building Surveyor: A building surveyor can review the property, assess the modifications made, and advise on the necessary steps to obtain retrospective building approval. They will also guide you through the application process.

3. Building Regulations Application: Based on the recommendations of the structural engineer and building surveyor, you'll need to submit a building regulations application to the local authority. This application typically includes detailed plans, structural calculations, and other required documentation.

4. Building Control Inspections: Once the application is approved, building control inspections will be conducted to ensure the modifications comply with current building regulations. These inspections may involve multiple visits at various stages of the work.

5. Costs: The costs associated with securing retrospective building approval can vary depending on factors such as the extent of the modifications, the area you live in, and the professionals you engage. It's advisable to obtain quotes from structural engineers, building surveyors, and any other professionals involved to get an estimate of the costs involved.

Remember, it's essential to consult with local authorities and professionals who can provide accurate guidance based on your specific circumstances. They will be able to provide more detailed information regarding the process and estimated costs involved in obtaining retrospective building approval for the specific modifications made to your house"
Answered on 15th Sep 2023 - Member since Sep 2023 - report
"we can help you with the project we can come and do inspection and give your report if okay or give you report what would be required to make things okay . we might make small hole on the wall if required
our fee would be 550. but you can also buy insurance for the two items and care on with the project with our engaging structural engineer if the other part accepts it"
Answered on 22nd Aug 2023 - Member since Dec 2022 - report
"Internal wall changes are not so much a planning issue. It is however an issue for the state of the property if they have compromised the structural integrity of the property. Another common issue can arise if this is an ex Council property as it becomes a license issue and you would have contractual responsibility with the Council to reinstate it."
Answered on 21st Jun 2024 - Member since Jun 2024 - report
"There is a time limit that dictates whether you need to apply for retrospective planning permission - known as the 4-year rule or 10-year rule.

This means that retrospective planning permission may not be required if these time limits have been reached although clarification may be required from a structural surveyor if you are concerned about the safety of the alterations

If you do want to assess the work for safety concerns prior to purchase you would need to employ a structural surveyor and thereafter if retrospective planning is required there would be other costs (normally around £400 application fee plus architectural drawings. Potentially expensive so unless you have safety concerns wait for the 4 year rule to kick in."
Answered on 27th Nov 2023 - Member since Nov 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year