MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Possible Roof Spread


    My survey has picked up minor roof spread and advises improving restraint at ceiling joist level and potentially strengthening the rafter feet. Who do I need to assess this, a builder, roofer or engineer? Approx what costs might I be looking at?

    Asked by Hattie on 4th Jun 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Easy build

    "A good builder is all you need as long as structually everything else is sound. Cost will depend on who you choose, someone local with good references is normally the way to go."

    Answered on 7th Jun 2020 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    CR Roofing and Property Maintenance

    "I would get an engineer to take a look as they can specify what needs doing and will give you all the information needed to continue with further work."

    Answered on 4th Jun 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    Marl Bridge Services

    "A competent builder will know what you need and also a roofer so the choice is yours regards Nick Cook MarlBridge services"

    Answered on 4th Jun 2020 - Member since Mar 2019 - report
    Tom's Team Ltd

    I would instruct a Structural Engineer & would estimate the cost at £ 500 - £ 600 + VAT for a site visit and report.
    Once this is complete, get a builder to carry out the work to the necessary and, for peace of mind, perhaps have this inspected by the SE when done.
    Good luck.

    Answered on 5th Jun 2020 - Member since Oct 2017 - report

    "it depends what the roof is and how many meters you need to repair but the average price up to £ 500 good luck"

    Answered on 6th Jun 2020 - Member since Jul 2018 - report
    MBD Builders & Heating Engineer

    "Roof spread often affects the brickwork of the house by pushing it out. I suggest you get a structural survey done. (structural engineer) They will advise on the remedial works and what needs to be done.

    We are very familiar with this type of work.

    MBDBuilders&Heatiing Engineers"

    Answered on 30th Jul 2020 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
    Complete property services

    "A builder as it’s structural .sounds like u need your purlings jacked up"

    Answered on 4th Jun 2020 - Member since Mar 2018 - report
    Raw Concrete ltd

    "You would need to speak to a structural engineer . Cost will depend on the company You use and how much work is needed at there end"

    Answered on 4th Jun 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    G Giles

    "Hi yes it could be that the roof plate or timbers themselves have not been correctly strapped to the interior brick wall along with lateral restraints. It would require access to the roof the check this."

    Answered on 4th Jun 2020 - Member since Nov 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content