Plans for loft conversion

What plans do I need for a dormer loft conversion.

Truss roof, built in 2013, 3 bed semi detached, permitted development.

I think an architect may be a bit overkill for what I am trying to achieve.

I was thinking building regulation plans or can I just do a building notice? I assume I will also need a structural engineer to do the calcs.

Asked by Daniel on 19th May 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"For a dormer loft conversion in London, it's recommended to consult with professionals such as an architect and a structural engineer to ensure compliance with building regulations and to address any structural considerations. While an architect may seem like overkill for your project, their expertise can be valuable in designing a functional and aesthetically pleasing conversion that meets your needs.

Regarding the plans and regulations, there are two common routes you can take: building regulation plans or a building notice.

Building Regulation Plans: This involves preparing detailed plans and specifications that comply with the Building Regulations. These plans provide a comprehensive overview of the proposed conversion, including structural elements, insulation, fire safety, ventilation, and other important aspects. Building regulation plans typically require input from an architect or architectural technician.

Building Notice: Alternatively, you can submit a building notice to your local authority. This is a simpler and less detailed process where you notify the council of your intention to carry out the conversion. However, it's important to note that with a building notice, you may not receive detailed feedback or pre-approval on your plans, which could result in issues during the construction or inspection process.

In both cases, it's advisable to involve a structural engineer who can assess the structural requirements of the conversion and provide calculations and drawings as needed. A structural engineer ensures that the proposed changes will be structurally sound and meet the necessary safety standards.

It's important to check with your local authority or a building control body to understand the specific requirements and regulations applicable to your area. They can provide guidance on the necessary documents, fees, and processes for your loft conversion project."
Answered on 22nd May 2023 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
"You will need plans for building control which show all the structural requirements including a possible engineers report to validate the adequacy of any steel beams. If your property is in a conservation area you may also require architectural plans for planning submission."
Answered on 20th May 2023 - Member since Feb 2023 - report
"If you know the layout needed then there’s not much point in using an architect for permitted development
You could get a Structural Engineer to look/design the trusses and then a local truss manufacturer to supply any drawings .
A Building Notice is the most cost effective way to get Building Regulation Approval."
Answered on 20th May 2023 - Member since Feb 2023 - report
"For a dormer loft conversion on a truss roof under permitted development rights, you will typically require building regulation plans and calculations from a structural engineer. While an architect may not be necessary for every project, consulting with a professional can ensure that your plans meet the necessary standards and regulations."
Answered on 22nd May 2023 - Member since May 2023 - report
"You will need a structural engineers calls, the floor will need to be double jointed and adequate head height ant the stairs in compliance with fire regs."
Answered on 25th May 2023 - Member since Feb 2023 - report
"it might feel a bit like over kill engaging a architect but it will eliminate any grey areas when it comes to costing your project and you will certainly need calculations for the design as its a trussed roof."
Answered on 19th May 2023 - Member since Nov 2022 - report
"You will need architectural drawings, regardless of the project being qualified for, Under permitted development, as they will need to be submitted by Building control company, or yourself to the council before the works star's.

Also a structural engineer must be involved as he will Check the load of the new structure, and advice accordingly for structural materials needed."
Answered on 28th May 2023 - Member since May 2023 - report
"If you have a trussed roof then you have a major problem. You are looking at a total rebuild of the roof structure. In most situations like this the cost of the work outweighs it benefits as you need to convert it back to a traditional roof. If you attempt to cut sections out then it will fail as trusses only work in their entirety."
Answered on 19th May 2023 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
If it’s to the rear then should be fine on building notice
A structural engineer is needed so he can do calculations on the supports for the building inspector
Approx cost to building regs £750 -£850 Structual engineer would be £750-£1000 pending on how big the project is"
Answered on 19th May 2023 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year