MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    linel instalation


    I have taken out an extractor fan and now have a hole bth sides f the wall. Old house, narrow cavity between the two walls. Hole is above a window. Do I insert a lintel?

    Asked by Stefania on 4th Sep 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    CBS Builders

    "If an extractor fan was fitted there should be already a lintel if not I would fill the hole with a breeze block and render the outside and bond and set the inside or you could cut out and replace it with brick on the outside and block on the inside and bond and set on the inside."

    Answered on 22nd Sep 2021 - Member since Feb 2018 - report
    Sebastian Pop

    "You don't have to insert a lintel, you need a couple of bricks and a bit of mack to rebuild the hole."

    Answered on 3rd Oct 2021 - Member since Sep 2018 - report
    Perfect Construction

    "No lintel is required for this size job wall repair."

    Answered on 20th Oct 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    Cad Innovation Group Ltd


    The extractor fan hole is too small and does not need a lintel, I think you already have the lintel on top of the window. Just cover it on both sides."

    Answered on 23rd Sep 2021 - Member since Mar 2019 - report
    Harris Brickwork

    "The assumption would be that no joist or weight is being impressed upon the area, therefore effective closure of holes will be more than adequate."

    Answered on 30th Sep 2021 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
    B M Property Services

    Is the window framework exposed from the removal of the extractor fan?
    If so you will be requiring a lintel.
    However, if there is solid concrete or brickwork above the top of the window framework then no lintel is required."

    Answered on 15th Sep 2021 - Member since Nov 2019 - report

    "If it's just the extractor, no, fill it with some cement and block, and then plaster over it, or you can add some expandable foam with some rubble, and so on, you have the opportunity to contact a structural engineer, pay him or her for a site visit and let them give you the advice."

    Answered on 8th Oct 2021 - Member since Jan 2020 - report

    "No, just rebuild both sides, unless Extractor is over 3 ft wide then will need to see if has a supporting wall for upstairs. If not 2/3 foot wide fill in both side."

    Answered on 11th Oct 2021 - Member since Jan 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content