MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Does a gas hob need to be fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer?

    Heating Engineers

    Hello all
    I am in the process of kitchen renovations at the moment and will need a new gas hob to be installed.
    I had thought his would be a task only a Gas Safe registered engineer would be able to do legally, however the builder involved in my renovation work tells me that it is a simple change of disconnecting the old hob and reconnecting to the new, so it would be too minor to need a specialist and that he could do it himself.
    Is this the case, or am I having the wool pulled over my eyes?
    I’d like to hear from the horse’s mouth on this, from actual engineers.

    Asked by LAURA on 16th Sep 2019
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Infinite Maintenance

    I would strongly disagree with what you have been advised.
    Any gas installs must be completed by a fully qualified gas engineer who is also gas safe registered.
    The reason why you need a Gas safe engineer is because it is not as simple as disconnecting the old gas hob and reconnecting a new one. There a number of checks and test run by the engineer and most importantly making sure there will be no gas leaks.
    All new gas installs need to be certified and notified to the gas safe register."

    Answered on 26th Sep 2019 - Member since Dec 2018 - report
    Boiler King

    "Hi there, yes you are correct. Any gas work needs to be done by a Gas Safe Registered engineer, no matter how small. He could fit the job for you, but not connect the Gas I'm afraid. Hope this helps"

    Answered on 20th Sep 2019 - Member since Sep 2019 - report
    pbss ltd

    "Any gas work must be carried out by a gas safe engineer and has to be tested before and after fitting."

    Answered on 25th Nov 2019 - Member since Mar 2019 - report

    "It is highly illegal for an unregistered gas safe person to perform any gas work and in doing so would put you at great risk. Also leave you very vulnerable. We are happy to inspect the work required and give you an accurate quote."

    Answered on 4th Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Cosy Cat Plumbing & Heating Ltd

    "I’m not Gas Safe but you do need a gas safe engineer for this (even though it’s a minor job). If the valve is to leak or fail, it will be yours and your families lives at risk and the builder will likely “deny all knowledge” of fitting. If he’s happy to fit, make sure he writes an invoice saying he has fitted the appliance. Gas is not something to be messed with!!!"

    Answered on 16th Jan 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Gator Gas

    "You must be gas safe registered to install any gas appliances . As you have to test the gas for leaks before and after.

    Answered on 19th Jan 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Andrew Daughtry

    "Yes a gas hob/cooker MUST be installed by a gas safe installer, the gas installer must also be qualified to install gas cookers and hobs, you will find this information on the back of installers gas safe card. Don’t assume that someone being gas safe they can work on any gas appliances. If the builder fits the hob, I would report him to gas safe."

    Answered on 28th Apr 2020 - Member since Jun 2019 - report
    P H Gas Services

    "No its illegal and dangerous. It must be a Gas Safe registered engineer."

    Answered on 29th Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    Transit Gas

    "Any work involving gas, must be done by a gas safe engineer, this is regardless of it being easy.

    Any doubt ask the gas safe register."

    Answered on 21st Jan 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    TJ Heating Cheshire LTD

    "Hi, yes it does need to be disconnected and reconnected by a gas safe engineer. Also, when it is reconnected it will need commissioning. Your builder is breaking the law.

    Answered on 16th Sep 2019 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
    GB’s Plumbing and Heating

    "YES it must be a gas safe registered engineer. Anyone else is breaking the law. Specifically gas regs 26(9). And if they carry out the work and aren’t gas safe registered the need reported to the HSE via a RIDDOR report"

    Answered on 29th Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    1st choice Gas Care Ltd

    "Hello! Yes that is a job that should be done by someone that is Gas Safe registered. A freestanding cooker is designed that it can be disconnected/connected by anyone, but that doesn’t apply to a gas hob. Hope this helps."

    Answered on 16th Sep 2019 - Member since Mar 2018 - report
    Profile Plumbers

    "Yes as you have to break in to the gas supply to connect"

    Answered on 17th Sep 2019 - Member since May 2018 - report

    "Yes it does, any gas related work needs to be done by a competent, gas safe registered engineer."

    Answered on 13th Feb 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    Sab Plumbing

    "Any gas work must be carried out by a gas safe registered engineer and has to be tested before and after."

    Answered on 28th Jan 2020 - Member since Nov 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content