MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Garden Office / Living space


    I have a nearly square area of 5 x 5 metres right up to the boundary fences, which I am thinking of building living space, for use as office space and/or temporary living accommodation. I liken it to a studio apartment with kitchen, bathing, living, sleeping areas.
    What would be the best way to start exploring this project.
    Would I need planning, architectural services?
    Any advice would be appreciated at this stage.

    Asked by Yiannakis on 19th Feb 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Stoneridge Property Services Ltd

    "Hi Yiannakis,

    First thing would be to begin a planning application as the structure you have described will need planning permission & Building Control from the local council. A great website is, this will give you a solid understanding of what will be required for your project. Planning drawings will require an architect/building designer to draw them up. Once you have planning permission/building control you can then begin collecting quotes from builders.

    Once at this stage, If you would like a free no obligation quote from us here at Stoneridge Property Services then please do not hesitate to get in contact.


    Answered on 19th Feb 2021 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
    Leo design and construction

    "to be fair different councils have different opinions, the best thing to do is speak to your local council building and planning. if you are intending to have someone living in there it would make more work for the paperwork with the council and cost more for the application. hope it all works out for you kind regards Tim leo design and construction."

    Answered on 19th Feb 2021 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
    Design Manage Build

    "Speak to a local architect, get a fee proposal from the architect. do a sketch and what you're looking for to give the architect a better understanding of what your needs are"

    Answered on 20th Feb 2021 - Member since Feb 2021 - report
    Cadwallader Home Solutions Ltd

    "As you are making it into a living space I would assume you would need planning, the best option would be to find a local architect who would be able to guide you through all of the planning process and give you the information you require"

    Answered on 29th Apr 2021 - Member since Apr 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content