MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Garden drainage help

    Drainage Specialists

    We've got puddles forming on clay soil or garden in our new. What's an appropriate drainage solution?

    As the external floor was very high and leading to bridging or damp course we've removed it and dug down around 8-10 inches in that area. We've got through some concrete and type one and now found clay which the water sits on.

    Should I dig further into the clay or just lay something drainable on top?

    We've removed the concrete along the rest of the side return but not yet dug the type one away there. We have a manhole at the back of our garden which we could potentially channel water towards.

    Should we remove dig the whole of the side return to the same level?

    Currently, at least there is plenty of depth below the rear wall meaning it won't bridge the damp course but as it's now the lowest point in the garden I'm concerned that water in the rest of the garden may drain towards that area and cause problems.

    Asked by Sam on 25th Aug 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Swift Groundworks

    "Hi there, I'd suggest putting in a land drain and run it to the manhole, this would allow water to run away and should prevent puddling. Hope this helps. Swift groundworks."

    Answered on 25th Aug 2021 - Member since Jun 2021 - report

    "It's a pointless exercise trying to put soakaway on clay it won't go anywhere what you need to do is put Acco drains or French drains as some call them. Run your pipework into the manhole or connect them into drains if they are any closer than the manhole. Thanks. Jason, jandjdrains."

    Answered on 25th Aug 2021 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    L s services

    "Hi, lay some drains on top that should solve it, that should work."

    Answered on 25th Aug 2021 - Member since Aug 2021 - report

    "Morning Sam, think you may require a French Drain, you can dig a channel to get the water running away. Just manage the water, if levels continue to rise you could have a leak of some sorts."

    Answered on 25th Aug 2021 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
    PJK Water Services

    "Hiya, I would personally, I would dig a trench down to the clay away from the property, partly fill with pea gravel and dig a deeper hole at the lowest point and backfill."

    Answered on 12th Oct 2021 - Member since Oct 2021 - report

    "Sounds like a soakaway needs installing at the lowest point of the area."

    Answered on 27th Sep 2021 - Member since Mar 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content