MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Do we need an architect or structural engineer for a new extension?


    We are hoping to have an extension built onto our house.
    We have been recommended a local architect to speak to before getting any builder quotes, but we have also been told that a structural engineer might be all we need rather than an architect.
    Do we need an architect specifically or will a structural engineer be able to handle it with a hired builder to complete the work?
    Or even, could a builder do the job of all three?

    Asked by Monika Lydia on 3rd Mar 2019
    Share this question
    P Hughes Architecture Ltd

    It sounds like you may have been misinformed a bit there.
    An architect is going to be absolutely necessary to ensure you have detailed plans for the intended extension and you will need a builder to follow these plans to complete the work.
    A structural engineer you MAY need, but only if you will be removing anything from the existing building in the process (IE – if you are removing a supporting wall, then the structural engineer would be required to ensure this can be done safely and securely). If the extension is very simple, then you may not need a structural engineer and only require the architect and builder(s).
    Hope this helps clear things up! "

    Answered on 3rd Mar 2019 - Member since Mar 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content