Design and plans

I am looking at a semi-detached property in Hounslow council which will require modernisation. Main jobs will be:

- modernise the kitchen - same place
- remove a toilet room
- remove a non-baring wall
- do velux loft conversion for either 2 bedrooms or bathroom and a bedroom
- create a new bathroom and utility downstairs
- New main door
- External paint

For this, I would like to know what would be a typical cost to make the plans which could then be submitted to building control. How long does it take to draw up the plans / concepts and drawings?

I look forward to your guides.

Asked by Ilyas on 20th Mar 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"It would take 2 weeks to carry out measured survey and produce consept drawings, another 2-3 weeks to complete full set of drawings for planning and building control submission. Typical cost would be £2-3K in London."
Answered on 29th Mar 2023 - Member since Mar 2019 - report

You should typically expect to pay around 1500-3000 for a fully qualified architect. I’d presume they work on a lead time that is 4-8 weeks.

It’s not necessary to use an architect for planning drawings as the requirements are fairly low level to get planning permission granted.

I hope this helps,

Answered on 21st Mar 2023 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
"Do you have an existing floor plan? If so I could draw up plans to showcase your proposed plans. You will need a "before and after" floor plan as well as elevations showing the proposed changes. As long as the house is not listed your costs should be limited to architectural fees, fees relating to council application for planning approval, following approval you would have an assessment by a structural engineer to assess the impact on your cesspit given the increased capacity re extra bedrooms etc - you may not have a cesspit though. This further approval will result in an assessment of the structural engineer report and a building warrant application and approval will be required. Once successful a building certificate will be issued. This certificate requires you and your project manager to inform the council of when you are going to start the work, and also to inform them when it is finished. A building warrant officer will likely visit the property at intervals (3) to check to see that the work approved is the work being done."
Answered on 27th Nov 2023 - Member since Nov 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year