MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Cooker Hood Replacement


    If we just want to replace our existing cooker hood with a new one do we need an electrician?

    Asked by Jackie on 12th Apr 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Contact Electricals Ltd

    "Hi there, you don’t always need an electrician, sometimes there is just a 13amp plug on the end of them. If it’s hard wired then it might be advisable to get a qualified electrician."

    Answered on 6th May 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report
    Protec Gas Services

    "If it’s your own property and you are competent to do the job then no. But please take note that building regulations change and your existing cooker hood may not be fitted to code.

    Things to take into consideration are electrical regulations and safe isolation.
    Gas regulations if your cooker is gas.
    Best advice is to leave it for the professionals."

    Answered on 12th Apr 2021 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
    PSA Electrical

    "A lot of extractor hoods are fitted with a plug, if so its really easy. Otherwise it will be connected to a fused spur. If that is the case as long as you carefully follow the instructions you don't need an electrician. However if you are even slightly unsure get an electrician, it shouldn't cost more than a minimum call out charge."

    Answered on 12th Apr 2021 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
    Seyit Soner Simsek

    "Hi there. you can do it yourself. but it is useful to do the assembly by helping someone else. be careful though."

    Answered on 16th Jun 2021 - Member since May 2021 - report
    Bespoke Electrical Management

    "So long as it’s on a plug behind the extraction cover I don’t see why not. Some are hard wired and isolated via a kitchen switch. This would require tools to safely disconnect and reconnect the supply."

    Answered on 12th Apr 2021 - Member since Nov 2019 - report
    Finest building services ltd

    "Hi Jackie, with wiring you will need a competent person for it. As for the hanging up anyone can do that.
    Hope this helps"

    Answered on 12th Apr 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report
    RTS Engineering (electrical) Services Ltd

    "If it's existing unit replacement then you should be fine to replace yourself"

    Answered on 29th Apr 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    Eco Electrical

    "If your competent then no. Just depends on your skill level."

    Answered on 12th Apr 2021 - Member since Feb 2021 - report

    "Not if you have a dedicated isolator correct to regs. Or it's a plug top into a socket. Yes, you need a professional if you are cutting and slicing an existing feed."

    Answered on 12th Apr 2021 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
    GoSmart Electrical

    "Yes. I install many of these and replace even more. The wiring is not very complicated but due to the metal body of them and the precision involved in installing them, definitely hire a professional electrician. Also, ensure the ducting for the extraction is properly inspected & cleaned."

    Answered on 30th Apr 2021 - Member since Oct 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content