What is stretcher bond?

What is a stretcher bond when it comes to bricklaying and is it suitable for a DIY job? When should it be used?

Asked by Sharon on 25th Aug 2022
Expert Trade Answers
"Stretcher bond is the term given to the repeating pattern the bricks are laid in. This pattern includes vertical supports tied into the foundation of the structure on the wall being built. Batter boards and string may be used to ensure a brick wall follows the correct line with neat plumb level work 👍"
Answered on 10th Sep 2022 - Member since Oct 2021 - report
"A normal brick panel usually consists of header then stretchers after securing hamd on first course a stretcher is the long face on a brick"
Answered on 1st Sep 2022 - Member since Aug 2022 - report
"stretcher bond is the bond you see on all houses. the face of a brick is called the stretcher and the end of a brick is called a header. When you build a wall you lay your first course of stretchers and then the next course each stretcher finishes half way over the course below.this forms a stong bond."
Answered on 26th Aug 2022 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
"Stretcher bond is the most common bricklaying bond used today, it is the simplest to do, usually used as external walls tied into internal walls. Always keep the per pends in line using a level/plumb bob"
Answered on 1st Sep 2022 - Member since Sep 2022 - report
"Hi , stretcher bond is just a name given to the kind of way to lay bricks , half bond ie one course laid followed by another on top half of that brick and so on , hope this has helped you ."
Answered on 25th Aug 2022 - Member since Jan 2018 - report
"Stretchered bond is a bond which is half bond with the brick below you can use it any time u like if u choose a different bond the laying of the bricks will be longer"
Answered on 4th Jan 2024 - Member since Feb 2021 - report
"Hi ,the stretcher is the most commonly used bond on new build properties today,every other course of brick alternates so that the brick below is half bonded.the perpend joint is verticle as you look at the brickwork face on."
Answered on 25th Aug 2022 - Member since Jul 2020 - report
"Just general bricklaying one brick over two the easiest and mist common way if bricklaying"
Answered on 25th Aug 2022 - Member since Mar 2018 - report
"The simplest pattern of bricks overlapping by half above and below suitable for garden walls"
Answered on 21st Feb 2024 - Member since Oct 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year