MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Subsidence issues


    I am a single working mum of 4 children living in a private rented property. I have informed my landlord on many occasions and I with no other options had to call out environmental health. After 2 visits to the property, they said it was a danger, then after them meeting the landlord, I have been ignored.

    Since last year I've had cracks appear inside and outside of my flat above a shop which I measure daily and are quite deep and wide enough to get my fingers in. There are also gaps in the stairs and between floors, skirting boards and windows etc. Now door frames are coming away from walls and snapping. Is there a way I can get a free structural report? I am afraid, I'm living here with 4 children and it's dangerous but not able to afford to get help off my own back.

    Asked by Donna on 19th Oct 2019
    Share this question
    Easy build

    "Get in touch with the local council. Tell them about your situation. The drawback is that if they condemn it you will have to move and council rehousing is a lottery."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2019 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    L J Taylor Brickwork Ltd

    "Contact your local council building Control. They may come take a look or point you in the right direction."

    Answered on 18th Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Mike Silvey Paving and Landscaping

    "Your landlord has a duty of care to you and this situation the house is in. Citizens advice bureau would be the first place I would go to find out more of what you can do."

    Answered on 6th May 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    PHR limited

    "Seeing as it is a rented property I would suggest looking for legal advice rather than advice from a tradesman.
    Perhaps contact your council asking them to home you or maybe citizens advice."

    Answered on 21st Nov 2019 - Member since Jan 2018 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content