Shower replacement

There is already an electric shower on top of bath tub in my sons rented house. His tenant demands him a separate cubical shower and asking him to pay for it. Where does he stand for this legally?

Asked by Mohammed on 23rd Jan 2024
Expert Trade Answers
"As a plumbing and heating company we can only really offer technical advice.
It sounds like you need to take a look at your tenancy agreement and seek further advice from your local citizens advice bureau."
Answered on 23rd Jan 2024 - Member since Nov 2023 - report
"Hi, If the tenant asked for this before moving in, then it should done as agreed. As it was there when the tenant viewed the flat they have no right to demand structural changes unless the existing shower is dangerous but that's another issue altogether."
Answered on 31st Jan 2024 - Member since Jan 2024 - report
"As long as it meets the habitable requirements no upgrading is needed.
If the electric shower is working just fine, then your son does not need to improve things.
Assuming the tenant moved in whith an electrical shower already there, then they are asking for an improvement."
Answered on 23rd Jan 2024 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
"As far as I’m aware he has no legal obligation to make changes to the property as lomg as it’s in a suitable Liveable state."
Answered on 24th Jan 2024 - Member since Jan 2024 - report
"As we are an Installation company i would not like to say, i think you should get advice from a property solicitor and look over your tenancy agreement."
Answered on 13th Mar 2024 - Member since Mar 2024 - report
"As long as after initial viewing contract was agreed on existing settings and power shower in good working order, no demand for different shower cubical can be feasible"
Answered on 26th Jan 2024 - Member since Jan 2024 - report
"Your son is not legally obliged to install a separate shower unit. As long as the property is habitable and he has provided what is neccessary e.g a means to have a bath or shower then there is no further legal obligation"
Answered on 27th Jan 2024 - Member since Jan 2024 - report
"If the tenant is disabled then as per the equality act of 2010 he can ask for reasonable adjustments t the property.
But if he is not disabled then he has no grounds to demand for a shower cubicle.

If he is disable check for reasonable adjustment criteria."
Answered on 13th Mar 2024 - Member since Feb 2023 - report
"In my knowledge the home owner is the one legally to make such changes to the property an also be willing to pay for such works, not demand a tenant .

Never have I heard a tenant having to pay for such changes in a house owned by someone else."
Answered on 23rd Jan 2024 - Member since Dec 2023 - report
"Hi the home owner should pay for this work not the tenant because the tenant is only renting the property"
Answered on 23rd Jan 2024 - Member since Feb 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year