MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Ask a Tradesman

    How to fix a dripping kitchen tap?


    It’s a mixer tap but only the hot tap drips. Cold is fine. You have to turn the hot tap handle really tight to stop it and then it’s a pain to turn back on next time.

    Asked by Christian on 11th Apr 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer


    "Hi ,
    The washer in the tap needs changing

    John Burns
    Owner / Director

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report

    The cartridge needs to be replaced. You can do this by isolating the hot water to the tap remove the handle unscrew the cartridge, replace it and refit handle reinstate hot water and check for leaks."

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    T&T Construction services LTD

    "Change rubber washer. Tool station sell them. Product code: 23104 £2.32"

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Ocean Bathrooms

    "If you know the make of the tap it’s quite possible you can buy spare inserts if not you may just as well replace the whole tap"

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Davie the plumber

    "The tap washer may be faulty or the tap seating faulty ceramics may be sticking."

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    G Nash Property Service.

    "Hi. It seems like a simple tap washer change needed. It does not seem like a quarter turn disc tap so I would say tap washer or maybe tap body as well. Should be a simple fix and cheap. Pennies if washer or tap body and not too much labour cost."

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Apr 2019 - report

    "Hi theres 2 answers to your problem if the mixer tap has washers then the hot side needs replacing and you can descale it while its out and use plumbers grease to make it easier to turn again. If you have 1/4 turn for on and off then they are ceramic disc cartridges and they come as a set and you replace both the inside of these type of valves are non serviceable. Hope this helps Darren"

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Feb 2019 - report

    "Your best solution is to replace the inner using what’s called a tap reviver. These are available in half inch and three quarter depending if it’s for a bath or basin. You can purchase these from any plumbers merchants or a diy store. To change. Isolate the water. Remove tap top. Undo the old and replace with new"

    Answered on 11th Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2018 - report
    Steve davies plumbing

    "Hi, its probably been dripping for a while. So the more you've been tightening the tap the more damage you've done to the cartridge inside the tap. If you know the make of the tap, you should be able to get a replacement, which will save you buying a new mixer tap. Hope this helps, Steve Davies Plumbing."

    Answered on 12th Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content