Wood burner Hetas certificate help

Been completely let down by a wood burner installer. We had a woodburner installed around a month ago. The company that installed it told us that they could self-certify. The problem is that I can't get in touch with them and im beginning to be concerned that i shouldnt use the burner. Am i going to have to get someone else to come and certify it? Can i do that?
I feel like i've been robbed. Is there anyone i can contact about this? Thanks.

Asked by Pete on 31st Mar 2020
Expert Trade Answers
"Sounds as though the installer, if they couldn't self certify it, aren't qualified to have done the installation in the first place. In which case. Recommend not to use the wood burner. Very frustrating. Look for HETAS registered company."
Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2016 - report
"You definitely need a registered HETAS agent first and foremost. Good luck."
Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
"If the company are HETAS registered then you can call HETAS who will act as a go-between to get you sorted. It is your responsibility to check the credentials of the installer before you use them.

Failing the installer coming back to register the stove you can do the following:

Contact you local building control office who will certify it at a cost or you can take out an insurance indemnity.

I'd definitely try and get someone to take a quick look at the installation if you feel that corners have been cut.

Good luck with the issue.

Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2018 - report
"You need to go to citizens advice bureau or trading standards. I’d message them one more time and threaten them with this then go along these lines. HETAS will have a website so check that they’re registered there too. I doubt many other installers would certify another’s work (if it was gas, I wouldn’t certify another’s work!)"
Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
"You have to get someone else to certify the woodburner it before you can use it.
Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
"Get the wood burner checked by a Hetas approved installer before you use it.
Contact trading standards and alert them of the company that installed the wood burner."
Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since May 2018 - report
"Yes, the wood burner needs to be commissioned and signed off and should be a benchmark book with the burner."
Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2019 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year