Installing a Smart Thermostat Cost
This guide covers everything you need to know about the cost of installing a smart thermostat.
Cost of Installing a Smart Thermostat
Things to Consider When Installing a Smart Thermostat
There are a few things to consider with smart thermostats. You must consider that they are different to smart meters. Many energy companies will install your smart meter for free, but with smart thermostats you will have to pay for the thermostat as well as paying to install the meter.
You should expect to pay between £150 and £280 for the smart thermostat and between £150 and £250 per day for it to be installed. Both prices will vary depending on the type of smart thermostat you buy and the labourer’s daily rate.
The Hive thermostat will usually cost around £250, the Nest thermostat will cost around £280 and Tado around £200, but these prices will vary. These are the most well-known brands but there are many other thermostat companies that offer a cheaper version. You should look around for the best price and whether the meter will meet your requirements.
You should also consider that there is a difference between smart meters and smart thermostats. Smart meters will be able to tell you information on your gas and electric meter readings whilst smart thermostats will allow you to control your heating from your phone, even when you are out of the house.
For the cheapest installation cost for your smart thermostat, you should compare quotes for the job. It’s recommended to get quotes from 3 professional tradespeople, so you get the best deal. My Job Quote have hundreds of trusted and reliable people ready to help with installing your smart thermostat.
Doing it Yourself
To install a smart thermostat yourself, you will have to remove your old one and make sure you know what you’re doing with the wires. It can be a complicated job to install a smart thermostat in your home, which is why it’s always easier to hire a professional to install it for you. They will have experience to do the job with no hassle.
You would have to remove your old thermostat if you have one and then label the wires, so you know where they connect to the new one. This could get complicated if you’re not familiar with wire work or have never installed a smart thermostat before.
If you do attempt to install your smart thermostat yourself, you should watch a tutorial video online or get some help from someone who knows what they are doing. You wouldn’t want to cause damage to your wall and end up having to pay a professional to fix it.
You would need to carry out drill work to your walls if you were to attempt installing your thermostat yourself which could cause serious damage to the wall if you make a mistake. To save money and time, you should hire a professional to install your thermostat without any stress.
We will always recommend getting a few quotes for the price of installing your smart thermostat. Whilst you could do it yourself, it’s not an easy job if you haven’t had experience of installing a smart thermostat previously.
Hiring a Thermostat Specialist Checklist
- To install a smart thermostat, you should expect to pay between £150 and £280 for the smart thermostat and between £150 and £250 per day for the installation.
- Installing a smart thermostat can save around 10-12% on your heating bill whilst Ecobee predicts it can save you around 23% on both heating and cooling costs.
- There is a difference between smart meters and thermostats. Meters will be able to tell you information on your gas and electric meter readings whilst smart thermostats will allow you to control your heating when you’re not home.
- You will need to hire a professional to install your smart thermostat if you want to avoid mistakes.
Hiring a Tradesman Checklist
- Always get at least 2 quotes before hiring.
- Never pay the full amount upfront.
- Get the quote in writing.
- For any payment you make, always get a receipt.
- On more expensive jobs, ask for references.
- Check if the tradesman is a member of any trades associations.
- Make sure the tradesman has public liability insurance.
How much will it cost to install a smart thermostat?
Can I install a smart thermostat myself?
How long will it take to install a smart thermostat?
New gas boiler to be installed along with 12 new rads on existing pipework. Gas mains pipe and flue straight forward as mains/meter adjoining external wall.
Submitted by Abdul
Gas cooker installation. The cooker has a pipe already.
Submitted by Carol
I am looking for an electric cooker to be changed to a gas cooker.
Submitted by Harpreet
OUR BOILER IS BIT OLD AND NOT WORKING WELL. WATER NOT HOT ENOUGH I RECON CHANGE NEW ONE.
Submitted by Damarukesar
Installation of a free-standing gas cooker required.