Cost of Removing Partition Walls
This guide covers everything you need to know about the cost of removing partition walls.
Cost of Hiring Partition Wall Specialist
Things to Consider When Removing Partition Wall
There are many things to consider with removing a partition wall. You must first figure out if the wall you want to remove is load-bearing or non-load bearing wall. A load-bearing wall will be supporting the weight of other elements of the house, such as the roof or a wall above. If you remove a load bearing wall without hiring a professional, it could end badly.
The cost of removing partition walls will be a lot cheaper than paying for an extension to create space that removing an internal wall can also create. You will have to consider the builder day rates when removing a partition wall.
It will typically take 1-3 days to remove the partition wall, depending on your requirements, it could take longer. Removing a partition wall can cost anywhere up to £1750 for removing a large area wall and builder’s day rates will vary from £100-£300.
You should hire a professional to remove your partition walls to avoid any damage to your walls.
Doing it Yourself
We don’t recommend removing an internal wall yourself as there could be many complications. You would have to work out if the wall is load-bearing or non-load bearing. To find this out you should note if the wall is hollow or creates a thud when you tap on it, if the wall is hollow, it shouldn’t be load-bearing.
If the internal wall you plan to remove is load-bearing, you will need a reinforced steel joist (RSJ) to support the other walls that are relying on the wall you plan to remove. You should hire a professional, experienced and qualified builder to remove your partition wall to avoid making permanent structural damage to your house.
We recommend getting up to 3 quotes from professionals so you can receive the best price for removing partition walls. A professional will have years of experience of removing partition walls, giving you peace of mind that you’ll receive a high-quality service from them.
Hiring a Partition Wall Specialist Checklist
- Removing a partition wall in your home creates the illusion of more space, as well as saving you a lot of money on having an extension.
- If you remove a partition wall that is load-bearing, you will cause major damage. A professional will have many years of experience in removing partition walls.
- You would have to work out if the wall is load-bearing or non-load bearing to avoid causing major damage if you attempted it yourself.
- We recommend getting up to 3 quotes from professionals so you can receive the best price for removing partition walls.
- Removing a partition wall can cost anywhere up to £1750 for removing a large area wall and builder’s day rates will vary from £100-£300.
- If your house is a listed building, you will need to apply for listed building planning permission consent to have a partition wall removed.
Hiring a Tradesman Checklist
- Always get at least 2 quotes before hiring.
- Never pay the full amount upfront.
- Get the quote in writing.
- For any payment you make, always get a receipt.
- On more expensive jobs, ask for references.
- Check if the tradesman is a member of any trades associations.
- Make sure the tradesman has public liability insurance.
How long does it take to remove a wall?
How do you know if a wall is load bearing?
What types of partition walls are there?
Can you remove the wall yourself?
I want outside af my house pointing. Thanks.
Submitted by Mrs Elainr
Extending brick garage by 70cm. Thanks.
Submitted by M.
Supply and instal stainless chimney liner and repoint chimney. Thanks.
Submitted by Jim
Concreate base required for a conservatory 4 meters x 2.4 approx. all materials would be paid for.
Submitted by Christopher
Due to a leak in the bathroom part of the kitchen ceiling has “bowed”. The ceiling is artexed too! Also there’s a crack running the length of the bedroom ceiling that no amount of filling, sanding etc will not fix so if that could be dealt with too that would be good. The bedroom ceiling is ju...