Cost of Installing a Log Burner
This guide covers everything you need to know about installing a log burner.
Cost of Hiring a Log Burner Specialist
Things to Consider When Installing a Log Burner
There are a few important things to consider when considering installing a log burner. Do you have a chimney? If not, you are going to have to spend a lot more than if you already have a chimney breast in situ. You need to think carefully about the size of the room and make sure there is enough space around the burner free of combustible materials. Think about the value the woodburner may add to your property-and may save on fuel bills.
You will need to take into account the size of your room and the size of the space that the woodburner will be fitted into. An average size room (12msq) in a fairly modern home (after 2000) will need a stove of 2-5kW. If your room is an open plan living area and your house is a period property then you will need a stove of up to 8kW output. A stove over 5kW will require a woodburner fan – consult a HETAS registered installer to advise you on the best choice for your needs. Each manufacturer will give guidance on how far away from any combustible material, such as plasterboard or timber stud wall, their log burners need to be located. Always seek the advice of a trusted professional.
There are log burners to suit all budgets but there are some points that need to be considered when making your choice. More expensive burners may be made of thicker steel and have a longer life. The glass may also be thicker and last longer than a cheaper model. A more expensive burner may be more aesthetically pleasing as more time may have been spent on the design.
The cost of installing your woodburner will depend on whether you already have a chimney in place or not. If you already have a chimney then your installation costs will be in the region of £1200 plus the cost of the log burner. This will include cleaning and then lining the chimney to make the burner more efficient. If you do not have a chimney, then the installation costs will shoot up to around £2300 in addition to the cost of your choice of log burner as you will need a ‘twin wall’ chimney to be fitted
Doing it Yourself
Fitting a log burner yourself is not something that is recommended as all solid fuel heating installations, including your log burner, have to be approved by a HETAS registered installer. There are serious consequences should the works not be approved. They will be deemed to be illegal and your home insurance will not cover any accidents that happen due to incorrect installation.
To reiterate, it is never recommended that you attempt to install your log burner yourself; you should always engage a trusted HETAS regulated installer to carry out all works. Let My Job Quote help and you can relax knowing that safety is taken care of!
Simply enter the details of your job and we will put you in touch with professional tradespeople to help with installing your log burner.
Hiring a Log Burner Expert Checklist
- Remember to always get more than one quote from a trusted professional. This is where My Job Quote can provide invaluable assistance.
- Ask if you need to be in the house whilst the work is going on and what you need to do to prepare for installation.
- Make sure you know what maintenance is needed and always engage trusted professionals.
- You will need to take into account the size of your room and the size of the space that the woodburner will be fitted into.
- Each manufacturer will give guidance on how far away from any combustible material, such as plasterboard or timber stud wall, their log burners need to be located
Hiring a Tradesman Checklist
- Always get at least 2 quotes before hiring.
- Never pay the full amount upfront.
- Get the quote in writing.
- For any payment you make, always get a receipt.
- On more expensive jobs, ask for references.
- Check if the tradesman is a member of any trades associations.
- Make sure the tradesman has public liability insurance.
Can I install a log burner myself?
What size woodburner is best for me?
How much should I spend on a log burner?
How long will it take to install a log burner?
Old fashioned gas fire disconnected. Thanks.
Submitted by Joyce
Gas fire installation, pre cast flue and servicing of boiler.
Submitted by Stuart
Balanced flue problem on gas fire possible fitting of new fire. Thanks.
Submitted by Colin
New has fire to be fitted BR1 4QP, asap. Thanks.
Submitted by Shaun
To conduct an annual service for my gas fire.